Tuesday, December 07, 2010


Evolution of a page(s) Heroic Heroes #8
Well this is a massive step, it's been 5 days since the last post, and it usually takes even longer than that to hit the BLANK PAGE. So, after pottering around for a couple of hours, doing anything to not draw, i finally sat down.

The Paper -
I have been crippled by bad paper in the last few years. I use a hunt 102 dip pen, and finding it's equal in paper has made me go soft in the head many times. What i've found is the steel point of my pen often bites the paper causing me to constantly clean my nib, that or the paper's too thin and the ink bleeds or makes the paper dimple.
So thank the holy heavens i found this Bristol board at Eckersley's a month ago. You hear cartoonists talk about how they use Bristol Board all the time and i gotta tell ya this stuff is like papery mana from the gods. Clean Lines, no breakage and silky smooth. Drawing lines on this stuff is like sleeping in a womb. So like Starship said, Nothing's Gonna Stop us Now!

Size
I've fucked around with plenty of different sizes for the originals. I started off drawing at the same size it was printed (1:1), then i started drawing on an A3 page. The problem with A3 is you need either an A3 scanner or you have to scan bits and pieces in an A4 scanner and then put it back together. I was pretty shit at photoshop when i started so i had to get a mate to scan my stuff in, and after awhile i just went back to 1:1. Looking back at the originals for the last seven issues is like looking at the collected work of an autistic preschooler, with all the odd sizes and bits of cut out board. And with that said, i've now chosen a brand new ratio thanks to the bristol board which is what you see above, i think it's 1:1.2 or something silly. I did it so i could get as much out of a sheet of Bristol Board as i could without doing it at 1:1.

Fuck i'm crapping on a bit. Next - The Pencils

No comments: